Water is our life blood, too little affects our concentration and parches our body. Too much and we struggle to cope (just think of the recent weather conditions).
Just stop and think for a moment, when did you last have a drink of water? Did you notice anything about it at the time or were you too distracted and on autopilot? Or perhaps already back on to the ‘doing’ of life.
And if you can’t remember then you’re not alone. Nearly 70% of people forget they’ve done simple things like drinking water or brushing their teeth because their mind is somewhere else.
Some think mindfulness is done at a particular time and they have to ‘get it’. There’s nothing to get really with mindfulness, it’s not like a new skill or yet another thing to add to your list. All you have to do is begin living more mindfully and your awareness to things begins to change.
Try this to begin living more mindfully.
- Hold a glass/bottle of water in your hands and take a few moments out of your day to notice it
- Take a few gentle breaths as you become more curious and let other thoughts drift away
- As your curiosity grows you notice the release of the temptation to rush off into doing
- Now slowly take a sip and hold it in your mouth for a moment before swallowing
- What do you notice? What sensation did you become aware of?
- When you’re ready take another sip and notice anything else
- Finish with a few gentle breaths
You have just been mindfully sipping water. Living mindfully is not difficult; you’ve proved it just now. Make a conscious decision to enjoy each moment and bring more flow into your life.
By Ian Fox